This printable shading worksheets pack includes a lesson plan, checklist, and six handouts that cover the basics of shading through hatching, cross-hatching, stippling, and scribbling, plus a handout about using different types of drawing pencils. These visual arts worksheets are perfect for a sub plan or for any art teacher looking to help their students with different shading techniques!
In addition to the six handouts (with a handwritten and typed version of each sheet), there is also a poster-size version of the front of each handout that can easily be printed and displayed in your classroom. Students can refer to these posters to review the different techniques.
When my students first enter my drawing class I expect them to have a base of drawing and shading knowledge from their Introduction to Art course. Before we start their first drawing assignment, I like to review shading basics. This helps remind students what they learned in their previous art class and teaches those who have not been introduced to these concepts yet.
In this lesson students complete six worksheets that review shading basics: information about graphite pencils, general shading information, hatching, cross-hatching, stippling, and scribbling to shade. In addition, they are asked to apply these techniques in a sketchbook assignment.
All in all this lesson pack includes:
- A lesson plan (with a big idea, objectives, vocabulary, national middle and high school art standards, and step by step instructions on implementing the project)
- Graphite pencils worksheet
- Shading general worksheet
- Hatching worksheet
- Cross hatching worksheet
- Stippling worksheet
- Scribbling worksheet
- Grading checklist
Check out a preview of this item here: Shading Basics Preview Pack
This lesson is designed for a middle school or high school visual art class. This lesson pack is also a bundle pack of all my shading basics worksheets, you save money by purchasing them together.
This lesson is part of my semester-long drawing curriculum bundle. Get everything you need to teach an entire semester of drawing, 12 lessons in all, for a discounted price. Check it out here.
Each of my classes is designed to build on the last. This curriculum builds on the lessons and techniques taught in my Introduction to Art course. Check out my yearlong Introduction to Art curriculum bundled at a discount price here.
- This review pack prepares students for the next lesson in my drawing curriculum, a more personal take on a still life drawing. Check it out here.
- Check out my hand-drawn elements of art worksheet, value, here.
- Check out my digitally designed elements of art worksheet, value, here.
- Check out my other products here.
- The worksheets included in this packet can also be purchased individually. Check out the links to the products below:
- Check out my general shading worksheet here.
- Check out my stippling worksheet here.
- Check out my crosshatching worksheet here.
- Check out my hatching worksheet here.
- Check out my graphite pencils 101 worksheets here.
Check out my other products here.