I have a special place in my heart for high school art because I taught it for so long. I love seeing students fall in love with art over the course of Introduction to Art and find their own personal style in advanced-level classes. While it’s still important to scaffold techniques, building on the skills they have gained in previous years, I think allowing students to express themselves and explore their creativity is the top priority.
Because of that, I put focus on open-ended subject matter in projects to allow students to make it their own. If you can find a way to let students tailor projects to their interests, they will be much more invested in what they are working on.
Recent High School Art Projects
- Portrait Grid Drawing Project
- Gelli Print Paint Study Project
- Drawing Unit
- A Year of Drawing and Painting Curriculum
High School Art Project Ideas-First Day of School
The first day of school in high school involves a number of administrative tasks. From going over the syllabus to class rules to giving first homework assignments, it’s hard to get anything done beyond the basics. Because of that I often focus on completing small tasks on day one. Plus, teenagers have a hard adjustment those first few days once again waking up early, you don’t want to give them too much too quick.
I opt not to assign seats in my high school classes. However, if there are discipline issues an assigned seat is my first course of action, I make that clear on day one. When students arrive I tell them to find their seat and get out a pencil. I pass out the syllabus, cover class rules, and then have students work on their get-to-know-you sheet. I collect and review the get-to-know-you handouts while students work on their first activity. My favorites are a musical chair drawing activity (read more about this in a blog post here) or a first day of school, the last day of school still life study.
First Day Checklist
- Review the course syllabus and class rules
- Pass out a get-to-know-you handout for students to fill out.
- Musical chairs drawing activity
- First day, last day still life activity
High Scool Art Project Ideas-Popular Resources
My most popular high school resources are my full semester and year curriculums. You get everything you need to teach a course, even with zero experience. Art teachers often go into their jobs and are simply given course titles without resources, handouts, or books to help them teach. Check out what resources I have to make your life easier this school year. Give yourself the gift of time and let me do the planning for you.
- Introduction to Art Year Curriculum (Shop my TPT, shop my website)
- Introduction to Design Semester Adobe Suite Curriculum (Shop my TPT, shop my website)
- Introduction to Design Semester Free Programs Curriculum (Shop my TPT, shop my website)
- Introduction to Digital Photography Semester Curriculum (Shop my TPT, shop my website)