A visual journal, or altered book, are a great continuous project for your visual art or English class. This visual journaling art assignment is perfect for 4th grade, 5th grade, middle school art or high school art age students. These journals can serve as a weekly, monthly, or yearlong project.
This assignment is always my students’ and my favorite for the year. It is the best way to get to know them on a personal level and they get the chance to express themselves however they choose. It also frees up pre-planning for one day every week, you already know Friday is visual journal day.
There are many different ways to use these journals! This could also be a fun assignment to periodically work on in an English course. Rather than focusing on the art element, creative writing prompts could be given to inspire visual and writing combinations in their journals.
This bundle pack includes everything I use in all of my classes (Intro to Art, 3D Design, 2D Design, Advanced 2D, and AP Art). I start by introducing them in my Intro to Art class, and I continue the Friday free art and visual journal day in all classes, even advanced levels.
This pack includes:
- 11 back and front worksheets about different materials and how to use them (including collage, painting, lettering, India ink, image transfers, etc. tips and techniques)
- Lesson plan
- Book cover lesson plan
- Introduction PowerPoint
- Book cover introduction PowerPoint
- An information sheet for overseeing the project for teachers, including supply list
- 3 visual journal posters for inspiration
- A timeline that breaks down how to introduce and continue the visual journal assignment
Check out a preview of this product here: Preview Pack
Check out my individual visual journal resource handouts here.
I incorporate my visual journal lesson in all of my classes. This bundle is included in my Introduction to Art bundle. The lesson plan and PowerPoint are included in my other curriculum bundles.
- My Introduction to Sculpture and Ceramics course builds on the lessons and techniques introduced in my Introduction to Art course. Check out the yearlong curriculum here.
- My painting class also builds on my Introduction to Art course, check out the semester-long curriculum bundle here.
- My Advanced 2D Design and AP Art classes build on the lessons and techniques taught in my painting class. Check out the next level in my Advanced curriculum (available at a bundled discount) here.
Check out my other products here.
All products are 100% made by me.